Friday 8 July 2011

New Beginnings

Right so! Where to begin!

Very briefly, I love Japan and everything to do with it (sounds simple eh?)

Last August I got an opportunity to live and work in a town outside of Nagoya called Kasugai as an English teacher. I stayed in Japan for seven months and got to experience the everyday life of "small town" Japan (Kasugai's population was about 300,000 people o_O). I had the pleasure to teach in three primary schools of 6-12 year old's and everyday I ate school lunch with them. It was here that I experienced everyday food that was eaten in households all over Japan. And boy was it diverse and so so healthy!



Luckily in my favourite school, the head teacher Murakami sensei keeps a very up to date blog of the school life. There you can also see what the lunch is every day.

http://www.kasugai.ed.jp/kasugai-e/

(Please note that when posting, the images were down on the site. I hope it will be fixed soon as I miss looking at how the school is progressing through the year)


The one thing that stuck with me was the amazing fresh food. Just amazing. It would put many places in Ireland to shame.

Since returning to Cork, I greatly miss these flavours and diversity so over the last couple of months-much to the delight of my boyfriend- I have been cooking lots of different things. And this is what this blog is about. My memories and experiments with food.


I hope you will read, enjoy, laugh and learn about how amazing Japanese food and culture is and how diverse their food culture is.

No comments:

Post a Comment