Tuesday 12 July 2011

Hint of sunshine? Break out the Mugicha! (Barley tea)

As the title suggests, the weather today in Cork was one of sunshine! Something that is hungered for by the UV deprived nation. 

Seeing it was such a hot and beautiful day, a post about refreshingly chilled mugicha (barley tea) was needed. When I went to work in Japan August last year it was roasting! I had never experienced heat like it. 38degrees everyday, high humidity and extreme amounts of sweating (not pleasant). This made worse by being suited up all day long (even more unpleasant), trying not to melt. Us Irish people really can't handle heat too well....

But thankfully there was glorious chilled relief available in the staff room; mugicha.


Mugicha is made with roasted barley grains and is hugely popular during the summer months in Japan and Korea. Mugicha can also be enjoyed cold in the summer and hot in the winter, but I personally prefer drinking it cold.

Mugicha is caffeine free. Its colour ranges from pale to dark brown and has a roasted taste with an earthy undertone. My partner in crime abhors the stuff and likens it to "nasty cold coffee". I adore it and will happily drink it all day long-even when its not sunny outside!

There are a few different ways to prepare mugicha and all of them involve bulk production. If you're making it, it is best to make it in large volumes.

The teabags I have are a 'hybrid' type where they can be used in boiling water or cold water for the same effect. 



The method I use most is the hot water one. I boil around 2 litres of water, throw in the tea bag and allow the flavour to develop over a few minutes. I then leave the water to cool, bottle it and pop it in the fridge.

The cold water method where the teabag is left in a jug of water in the fridge anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 day, depending on how strong you like your tea.

The large teabags can be used twice, so don't throw it away too quickly!
As health benefits go, I haven't found any solid scientific research in the area of barley tea. However, I've gleaned bits and pieces from other sites.

Mugicha's top health benefits are that its caffeine free, filled with antioxidants and poly-phenols which aid the heart and general well being. It is also high in copper which apparently lessens the effects of grey hairs...(might come in handy down the line).

A good friend told me when he asked his companies tea lady which was the best way to make mugicha, she recommended using the hot water method as it released the antioxidants and goodness! I took that on board straight away. They know their stuff!

In Japan mugicha is very reasonably priced. A pack of 50 large teabags cos me about ¥300 or €2.60!
The best and most convenient place I've seen to purchase mugicha is on the Japan Centre website- http://www.japancentre.com/items/855

If I find anything local, it shall be known to you all.

So on a warm day break out the barley tea and enjoy the cold and earthy flavours!



いただきます!! (Itadakimasu- Let's eat; I humbly receive-preferably with my feet up, sunglasses and a book)

No comments:

Post a Comment